Every product is selected independently by our editors. Things you buy through our links may earn us a little commission. Learn more
Retinol might also help unclog your pores, according to the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. In 2016, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the over-the-counter retinol gel to help treat acne in those aged 12 and over.
Not only that you may probably not find any ingredient that can alone heal all skin problems. But fortunately, modern scientists discovered that retinoids (anti-aging) can improve your overall skin conditions such as promoting cell turnover, brightening dark spots, sun spots, & hyperpigmentation, stimulating collagen, reducing wrinkles, regulating oil secretion, and fighting acne.
That’s why; now retinoids (vitamin A derivatives) are used in various skincare items like lotion, cream, serum, toner, foam, cleanser, gel, ointment, or moisturizer. In this buying guide article, I will show the 10 best retinol moisturizers and creams for those who own oily, acne-prone skin along with wrinkles and fine lines.
Dr. Meera Sivendran, MD says, “When you apply a retinoid, you’re constantly exfoliating the top layers of your skin. As a result, you will notice fewer wrinkles, dark spots, unclogged pores, blackheads, whiteheads, and rough skin texture.”
With regular use of a retinol moisturizer, you can prevent oily patches, acne, scars, fine lines, dry areas, sun damage, and age spots. In addition, a retinol moisturizer or cream can even out bumpy texture & tones, increase skin’s blood flow, lighten suntan, reduce redness, and improve sensitive skin.
Dr. Meera also says that an OTC retinol moisturizer is less likely to cause peeling, redness, dryness, or irritation to the skin. But, precaution should be taken. Dr. Shereene Idriss recommends some tips about how to adopt a retinol moisturizer as a beginner.
Keep reading on, hope this list of the best retinol moisturizers for oily skin would be helpful for those who are suffering from blackheads, whiteheads, acne, clogged pores, zits, combination skin, or pimples.
1. InstaNatural Retinol Moisturizer
This moisturizer works decently for oily, sensitive skin. It helps smooth out the appearance of shiny patches and dullness. Use it for a lightweight feeling on your oily or combination skin. InstaNatural Retinol Moisturizer prevents cystic acne and pimples too. And you will never see shiny skin when you get up in the morning.
MAIN INGREDIENTS: This cream contains hyaluronic acid, green tea extract, safflower seed oil, and vitamin C.
- It helps reduce fine lines, acne scars, and dark circles.
- It soothes the harmful effects of the sun’s rays.
- It hydrates dry areas of the skin also.
- Some users complained that the ingredients on the product label are not the same on the website.
2. LilyAna Naturals Retinol Cream
This cream contains retinol 2.5% and 71% other organic ingredients. Most of the users found it very useful for the face, neck, and décolleté area to get glowing skin. LilyAna Naturals Retinol Cream is rich in jojoba oil that controls excess sebum keeping the skin in the right moisture. Hyaluronic acid, organic aloe juice, green tea, and vitamin E protect, hydrate, and calm the skin.
MAIN INGREDIENTS: Jojoba oil, hyaluronic acid, vitamin E, green tea, and aloe vera.
- It will also fade off stretch marks, acne, spots, sunburn, scars, and age spots.
- This retinoid restores healthy tones & textures.
- Ideal both for men and women.
- Some users said that they didn’t see any difference in their skin.
3. Ebanel Retinol Moisturizer Cream
This non-greasy moisturizing formula is loaded with peptides, hyaluronic acid, resveratrol, stem cell extracts, vitamin C, and aloe vera along with anti-aging liposomal 2.5% retinol. It helps minimize pores, defense blemishes, brighten brown spots, sun spots & freckles, firm texture, and fill wrinkles. The cream also helps grow newer cells and plump the skin.
MAIN INGREDIENTS: Aloe vera, vitamin C, stem cell extracts, hyaluronic acid, peptides, and resveratrol.
- It gets rid of scars, stretch marks, and acne scars.
- Ebanel Retinol Moisturizer speeds up collagen, resurfaces rough texture, energizes dull skin, and repairs damaged cells.
- It reduces dark circles and eye bags also.
- One user said that the actual product and the listed product aren’t close.
4. ESTETIST Retinol Cream Moisturizer
It’s premium green tea extract controls excess oil production and prevents acne, clogged pores, and blackheads. Green tea also fights the signs of age spots and inflammation. Vitamin E protects free radicals and aging while also hydrating the skin. Hyaluronic acid improves collagen and moisturizing level.
MAIN INGREDIENTS: Hyaluronic acid, vitamin E, jojoba oil, organic aloe vera, and green tea.
- ESTETIST Retinol Moisturizer is also enriched with SPF that will protect your skin from the burning effects of the sun.
- You can use it day or night to restore elasticity.
- This moisturizer also helps lighten hyperpigmentation.
- Many users said that this cream made their skin oilier and it works on average.
5. Tree of Life Retinol Moisturizer
If you have severe acne then this cream will be efficient for you. And if you are looking for a product that could be effective for your fine lines caused by sunburns (when you don’t protect your skin from the sun) then it would be a great choice for you. It contains some unique quality retinoids that help in both oily skin and wrinkles.
MAIN INGREDIENTS: Botanical hyaluronic acid, organic jojoba oil, vitamin E, and wildcrafted green tea.
- Literally suitable for all skin types from oily to aged to sensitive skin.
- Cruelty-free, made in the USA, and no artificial scent.
- It prevents the breakdown of the collagen and builds newer ones.
- You will feel a non-greasy texture and goes on the skin smoothly with no residue.
You may feel it very lightweight but may not see any difference in your fine lines and wrinkles.
6. Pure Biology Retinol+ Moisturizer
It is equally effective for oily, combination, dry, or sensitive skin. This product contains anti-aging and cooling ingredients like avocado and panthenol oil that soothe and nourish the skin while aiding collagen. It has also the extracts of vitamin C, evening primrose oil, hyaluronic acid, argan oil, vitamin B & E, and amino acids that brighten acne scars, dark spots and diminish fine lines and chapped patches.
MAIN INGREDIENTS: Amino acids, vitamin B & E, argan oil, hyaluronic acid, evening primrose oil, vitamin C, avocado, and panthenol oil.
- Perfect to use day and night on the face, neck, and eyes.
- It gives immediate firmer, tighter, and cleaner skin.
- It will help treat your pores, excess oils, and acne flare-ups.
- You might feel a bad smell, wax on your hands, and a little bit burning on the face as said some users.
7. Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Retinol-SA Regenerating Cream
This anti-aging moisturizer is made with hyaluronic acid that balances the moisture level of the oily skin. Use it day or night to reveal blemish-free younger-looking skin in just 1 week. Retinol-SA visibly reduces the look of dark spots, scars, and fine lines. This moisturizer contains Glucose Complex that renews the skin naturally.
MAIN INGREDIENTS: Retinol-SA, hyaluronic acid, and glucose complex.
- Its hyaluronic acid plumps the skin alongside fading crow’s feet, aging lines, and dry patches on the face, cheek, and forehead.
- A unique combination of ingredients will moisturize, regenerate, and smooth out your dull skin.
- You might find lots of complaints about burns around the eye areas.
8. Kleem Organics Advanced Retinol Moisturizer
This moisturizer is formulated with hydrating and oil-controlling bio-active ingredients like aloe vera, 2.5% retinol, propolis, vitamin E, jojoba oil, green tea, and hyaluronic acid. Jojoba oil and green tea regulate excessive sebum giving a matte smooth texture while vitamin E and hyaluronic acid hydrate and protect the skin from dryness and sunburn.
MAIN INGREDIENTS: Hyaluronic acid, green tea, jojoba oil, vitamin E, propolis, and aloe vera.
- Both sexes can use this night repairing cream.
- Perfect for face, neck, and décolleté areas.
- It helps boost up elastin and collagen level that fills up fine lines, dark circles, and crow’s feet.
- Some Amazon users found it creating big reddish-purple lumps.
9. Olay Eyes Retinol 24 Night Eye Cream
Olay Regenerist Retinol 24 Moisturizer is very smooth to penetrate the subtle layer of the skin and make you look very polished with its very lightweight texture. Vitamin B3 and retinol complex keeps the skin hydrated and plump. You will see visibly fewer wrinkles and shiny patches with the improvement of smoothness, brightness, and firmness.
MAIN INGREDIENTS: Retinol complex and vitamin B3.
- This moisturizer helps lighten dark spots, minimize larger pores, and stop excess oil secretion.
- Retinol 24 eye cream delivers all benefits that your skin needs.
- No fragrance, mineral oils or dye, absorbs quickly and goes deeper into the skin.
- You could feel burning, itching, or redness as many users found these sensitive symptoms.
10. Maryann Organics Retinol Moisturizing Cream
This retinol moisturizer for oily skin contains natural ingredients —aloe vera, chamomile, botanical hyaluronic acid, vitamin E, citric acid, and panthenol that help balance the moisture level of the skin and prevent the formation of acne, blackheads, or blemishes. It softens the skin, improves rough texture & tones, firms fine lines, reduces wrinkles, and fades acne scars.
MAIN INGREDIENTS: Botanical hyaluronic acid, aloe vera, citric acid, panthenol, chamomile, and vitamin E.
- It controls oily skin and unclogs pores that result in no pimples or cysts.
- With regular use, this cream will remove your dark spots, hyperpigmentation, and sunspots.
- It is filled with premium antioxidants & vitamins that are beneficial for getting rejuvenated and elastic skin.
- It is just like a lotion but doesn’t moisturize or tingle or not have any smell.
How to use a retinol moisturizer for oily skin
Dr. Shereene Idriss suggests that add a retinol moisturizer to your skincare regimen gradually. You can start with one night a week and see how your skin reacts before adding a second night a week and so forth.
If you find yourself to be extremely sensitive, apply your moisturizer before applying your retinol in order to make it a little bit less effective and less irritating.
And you should take a patch test before applying a retinol moisturizer. Yet, if you feel any problem then see your dermatologist.